Q: What is the difference between an acute care facility (such as Kessler) and a sub-acute care facility (such as The House)?

A: Sub-acute care facilities usually provide up to two hours of therapy a day; acute care facilities usually provide three or more hours of therapy a day.  The hospital discharge planner generally determines which type of facility will best serve the patient.  Patients unable to sustain three hours of therapy will be discharged from acute care.

Q: Is Medicaid accepted?
A: Medicaid is accepted in both our Skilled Care and Comprehensive Personal Care units.  Because Medicaid does not cover the actual cost of care in either unit, State regulations permit facilities to limit the number of Medicaid residents.  Medicaid applicants may be placed on a waiting list.

Q: What is the difference between Assisted Living and Comprehensive Personal Care?
A: CPC is simply a name the State of New Jersey used for AL many years ago.  Services in CPC and AL are identical.

Q: Is transportation provided?
A: Transportation is only provided in Independent Living and Assisted Living on a first-come, first-served basis.  Residents on Medicaid are expected to use Medicaid transportation.  In-patient Medicare coverage does not include transportation services except for emergency ambulance service and ambulance when a Medicare patient must remain horizontal at all times.  Routine weekly trips to area shopping centers are scheduled on specific days and times.  Day trips to area attractions are regularly scheduled.  Residents must be able to ride the bus independently.  On a space-available basis, a resident may bring an individual to provide assistance. 

Q: Why do I need renter’s insurance?
A: Independent Living, Assisted Living and Comprehensive Personal Care units are considered each resident’s apartment.  The House is not responsible for contents and damages a resident may cause to other units (e.g. flooring).

Q: Why do I need Medigap coverage?
A: Medicare never pays 100% of charges.  Medigap insurance frequently covers co-pays.

Q: Why am I being discharged from my Medicare stay when I am unable to care for myself?
A: Medicare only covers rehabilitation and skilled nursing care for up to 100 days.  Should your rehabilitation plateau and/or you cease to require Medicare-defined skilled nursing services, federal regulations mandate termination of sub-acute Medicare services.  No federal program covers long-term care for persons unable to live independently.  Medicaid, a joint federal and state program, may cover long-term care once an individual is indigent.  In other words, you will be required to spend almost all of your assets to qualify for Medicaid.  Assets transferred (e.g., to relatives) at less than fair market value will cause ineligibility for Medicaid.

Q: Why must I send my income to the House when I am on Medicaid or Medicaid-pending?
A: Skilled nursing and assisted living facilities receive a flat rate from Medicaid.  This rate minuses out your income (e.g., Social Security, pension) as the state requires you to send this income to the facility.

For answers to these questions, or others, please call 201-343-9090